Prescribed pacemaker. On medicines. Is it any good? Also had a cataract surgery. Will harm?

ENT Specialist
I am 70 yrs old and have been treated for 2 yrs now for a-fib..I do extremely por on 90% of drs want to put a pacemaker in....and I still have to take the meds....I have no quality of life on the meds...2 meds have already put me in the hospital....I can't bet-blockers or ccb's....I have a problem with the pacemaker theory because it's not going give me any better life if I still have to take meds that make me sick and I am also afraid my body will try to reject the pacemaker as it is the implants in my eyes after cataract there an answer for me?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later
Hi,thanks for the query.

Well i have gone through your entire history which states that you are suffering from cardiac illness and are on medicines for the same.I would like to tell you that pacemaker is a device that is used in patients with conduction defects like impulse generation or conduction or both.It definitely has a proven role and also it improves the quality of life of the sufferer.Dont be afraid of its rejection.

But on the other hand,along with pacemaker placement,you will have to take proper and regular medicines. And there are no medications that affects the efficacy of pacemaker. and also dont worry about its rejection.( which is a extremely rare entity.
Dont worry you will be all rite.

Hope my answer will satisfy your query and i am ready for future follow ups.