Prescribed mucinex for bronchitis. Swallowed pill and stuck in throat. Getting breathing difficulty. Concerned

I have had bronchitis during the past week, and am just getting over it. As part of my regimen, I have been taking Mucinex to break up the mucous. Tonight I swallowed one of these tablets, and it appeared to get stuck in my throat. Since I have had some difficulty getting XXXXXXX breaths anyway as a result of the bronchitis, I am a little concerned. I am a 61-year-old mostly healthy female. I have been drinking water, hot tea, and little bits of banana. Is it possible that this could cause damage?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later

If your are sure that difficulty in XXXXXXX breaths didn't start after taking the pills , then we can assume that pill didn't get lodged in air-pipe that is trachea. Pills stuck in throat and not in air-pipe generally get dislodged and stop causing symptoms.In this case you won't need help and there won't be damaged caused by it.

Foreign bodies lodged in airway generally cause symptoms like breathlessness, chest discomfort, chocking feeling , gasping , breathing sounds and restlessness.Do watch for such symptoms.

If there are any of these symptoms do consider visit to doctor.Doctor would check for air entry in both lungs and if needed suggest a xray or scan.Doctor would also check if the pill is still lodged in throat.

Do continuing drinking water and eating bananas. but don't over do it as you might feel nauseated and vomit, which sometimes can cause aspiration.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.