Prescribed metformin for diabetes. Experiencing stinging sensation on foot. Due to medicine?

Psychiatrist
Question
Approximately 3/4 days after my doctor prescribed Metformin (for type2 diabetes), I have been experiencing painful stinging sensations in both my feet..could this be as a result of taking this medication? Prior to this, I had never had any issue whatsoever with regards to my feet. Should I discontinue with it..If so, what (if any) would be the side-effects?. I look forward to your reply.
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
Pins and needle sensation in a diabetic suggests peripheral neuropathy for most of the diabetics. However in your history you have demonstrated a clear association between your start of metformin and pins and needle sensation. Infact many patients do have this kind of side-effect after staring metformin. In that case you should contact your doctor and consider shifting metformin to other antidiabetic drug. There are plenty of new drugs in the market which may not cause you this kind of problem. Its difficult to predict whether you would have had that symptom or not in the beginning of the treatment.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Prescribed metformin for diabetes. Experiencing stinging sensation on foot. Due to medicine? 20 hours later
Your reply is much appreciated, thankyou Doctor XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I will be intouch with my family doctor to discuss your kindly advice,
to consider an alternative antidiabetic drug that will hopefully have
a lesser or non stinging effect on my feet.
Regards XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
I am sure things will improve fast. If the problem is cause of the drugs, it will resolve fast after stopping the drug.
Do consider regular exercise in your daily routine. It has a good impact on the blood sugars.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.