Prescribed levothyroxine after blood test. How to cure insomnia, palpitations and dry hair?

Geriatrics Specialist
Please could you help me understand my blood result. These were the last blood results my GP did in October last year. He stated to me they were within the normal range and recommended that I stay on Levothyroxine at 75mcg daily. The result of the test was "Free T4 level =12.2 TSH level = 6.98 m U/L High Original Result: 6.98mu/L (0.40 - 5.00)".

Having been unwell with insomnia, palpatations, dry hair and brittle nails I chose to alternate my meds 50mcg one night then 75mcg the following night. This did help me sleep better but still not feeling 100%
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 40 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
Increased TSH represents the state of hypothyroidism(in your case 6.98 m U/L )
So your physician prescribed you with levothyroxine(thyroid hormone )supplemented in case of hypothyroidism.
As you have been on the same dosage for the past 6 months,its advisable to recheck the THYROID PROFILE. The symptoms you mentioned are due to the hormonal imbalance, it is advised to visit your physician ,explain the symptoms and make dose adjustments. Do not change the drug dosage by yourself it may result in improper treatment and result in worsening of symptoms.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Thank you.