Prescribed levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol to delay periods. What is the dosage of the drug?

I was prescribed Avianeā„¢-28 (levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol) Tablets, USP to delay my upcoming period for a vacation 8 days from now.

They are 10mg/.3mg
I am in the Luteal stage of my cycle.
My normal period is set to begin in 10 days.
I am not on any other type of birth control, nor have I been in 15 years and my periods are very regular.

What is the recommended dosage for using this drug for such purpose as mine, with the effective date is so close? The package says 1 tablet/day, but this is for patients who plan on taking the medication for an extended period of time. This usage is just a one-time alteration for me.

Thank you in advance. :)
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
If you want to use this contraceptive pill for delaying your periods even then the dosage remains the same. You will have to take it once daily till the time you want your periods to be delayed. Since you will start these from your mid cycle, these will not provide you protection against pregnancy.
It can be used continuously for 2 months without a drug free interval to have a period free interval of 2 months.
To delay your periods for a few days only once, synthetic progesterone preparations are recommended like medroxyprogesterone acetate which should be started at least five days before the expected date of your periods as these medicines take at least 72 hours to produce their complete effect.
You need to continue these tablets until the date for which you want your periods to be postponed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Prescribed levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol to delay periods. What is the dosage of the drug? 7 hours later
Will taking one active Aviane tablet a day, for the next 12 days, postpone my period (due in 10 days) or not? I do not want to screw with my hormones, if I am not going to get the desired effect. Are you suggesting the use of medroxyprogesterone acetate instead of levonorgestrel for this particular, one-time menses delay? My GYNO is out of town, so my original request was sent to a different GYNO in office, via an answering service. This makes me wonder if the request was relayed correctly. I asked for Lybrel (Norethistrone), but it has since been discontinued in the US, so the Pharmacist gave me Aviane instead. That makes me nervous, because it's a completely different drug and the prescription dosage doesn't seem aggressive enough to have the effect that I want it to have in such a short time (9 days til my period is due) least not to my layman brain and not when compared to the prescribed 3 pills/day regiment of other drugs used for this reason (Norethistrone, and Medroxyprogesterone Acetate). And I sure don't want to be messing with my hormones for the next 2 weeks, if I am not going to benefit from the desired results.
As I recall, typical birth control pills take a few months of "adjusting to" before you are able to manipulate a period by skipping the placebo pills, and I just don't have that kind of time. Again, I am not wanting to be on this medication for an extended amount of time, I just want to delay my upcoming period for a few days.

So, do I take the Aviane in the recommended dosage, should I double or triple up on the dosage, or should I just ask for a different medication altogether?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Aviane is used in once daily doses. It is true that it will delay the periods more effectively in regular users. Doubling the doses will cause more side effects and is not needed.
I would recommend you to ask for norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone acetate for this one time delay in periods.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Prescribed levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol to delay periods. What is the dosage of the drug? 2 hours later
What are the most commonly used brands of these medications, available in the US?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
You can take Provera, cycrin, Aragest-5, clinofem, cycloreg, amenova, etc as per the availability at your local pharmacist.
Best regards.