Prescribed femara. Test reports show TSH=2.65uIU/ml, LH=3.94mu/ml and FSH=9.0mu/ml while estradiol=28pg/ml. What does this indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi My obgyn prescribed me 2 pills of femara and to trigger on day 12 of my cycle... I was wondering why he did that since he said both me and my husband are completely healthy and fertile
My labs are as follows
on day 2 my TSH = 2.65 uIU/ml , my LH= 3.94 mu/ml and my FSH=9.0 mu/ml while me estradiol = 28 pg/ml
on day 21 of my cycle my progestrone was 16 and my prolactin was 20.2

so is something wrong with me or am I fertile?
and if so why did he prescribe the above mentioned medicines

thanks alot
XXXXX
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Femara is an oral non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor. It contains letrozole as primary ingredient & is used for ovarian stimulation to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

On CD2 result, it indicates normal basal follicle function & normal amount of FSH is produced to stimulate the ovarian follicles. Serum TSH level is also normal.

On CD21 result, progesterone level indicates that either ovulation had occurred 5-10 days ago or the level is probably not adequate for satisfactory implantation. Serum prolactin level is quite normal.

To summarize, your blood hormone level is quite normal and you are fertile also. In my point of view, your doctor gives the above mentioned ovulation induction drug to increase the chance of pregnancy with proper ovulation.

In addition, you will take healthy diet with foilc acid supplements and don't be much worried regarding this.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Prescribed femara. Test reports show TSH=2.65uIU/ml, LH=3.94mu/ml and FSH=9.0mu/ml while estradiol=28pg/ml. What does this indicate? 2 hours later
so if we choose to conceive naturally without medication would that be a valid option... we can have a baby on our own?
P.S. my husband has a normal sperm count and has 70 % motility after one hour

Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, you can try for natural conception without any medication if all other reports are normal. But, you must consult with your treating doctor once. Your husband good.

In addition to above, you must take folic acid supplements for at least 3 months before conception and thereafter to avoid Neural Tube Defect (NTD) of baby in early weeks of pregnancy.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Best wishes to you.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Prescribed femara. Test reports show TSH=2.65uIU/ml, LH=3.94mu/ml and FSH=9.0mu/ml while estradiol=28pg/ml. What does this indicate? 3 days later
Thanks a lot for your answer doctor I went to a new obgyn on sunday and he discovered a cervical erosion ... he prescribed abothyl every 2 nights for 14 days
I was wondering could this erosion have been affecting our ability to conceive?
my new obgyn also said that femara and the trigger had caused me to develop a small polyp 0.5 cm that will pass with my next period, will it really pass?
Thank you for your advice in advance,

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for your additional queries.

1) Cervical erosion is caused by inflammation of cervical cells. It may be caused by change in estrogen hormone level (most common), inserting objects inside vagina, STD etc.

Basically, it is not a cause of infertility but it can make sexual intercourse more uncomfortable with pain or bleeding. If you are unable to conceive after 6 months to 1 yr of trying, then it should be treated properly to avoid fertility problems.

2) Change in hormone level and triggering agent may be the cause of developing the polyp. But, size is very much small and it is expected to pass with your next period cycle. Please, proceed follow-up examination after your period over.

Hope, I have answered your query. Take prescribed medication for cervical erosion as per your doctor's recommendation.

Take care yourself and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen