Prescribed cycloreg for missed period. Pregnancy test positive. Will this affect pregnancy?

Mar 2016

I had my last period on 26th February. As I missed them, went to doctor and she prescribed me Cycloreg. But no use. Home pregnancy test was still negative. Then she prescribed me Meprate 10 mg for 5 days. But still no effect. Today I again checked my pregnancy and it is positive.
We want a baby, but I am afraid that due to these medicines there may not be a wrong effect on the child. Do they affect the pregnancy? Otherwise we are thinking of abortion.
Please suggest me. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

First thing, you should do one blood test for beta-HCG & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) to confirm the pregnancy. It also gives detailed picture of the fetus along with gestational period.

In general, above mention drugs (progesterone) do not cause any harmful effect before confirmation of pregnancy or less than 5 weeks of gestation.

Organogenesis starts from 5-6 weeks onwards and from then every unprescribed drug should be avoided. Taking hormonal medication after 5 weeks of gestation can give some effect if the offspring is boy and there is no effect in case of girl baby.

Therefore, I suggest you to perform above mentioned tests at the earliest and consult with your gynecologist for next line of management.

Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet wit vitamin & folic acid supplements, drink plenty of fluid/ water, avoid heavy work/ long journey, maintain genital hygiene and take adequate bed rest.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen