Prescribed colimex before breast feed. Crying to sleep after stopping the syrup. Addicted to medicine? Colimex syrup make baby drowsy?

Feb 2013

Hello, Doctor has prescribed colimex to my 6 weeks daughter to use for a week 3 times a day before every (breast)feed during this time she has stopped crying and now that I've stopped using this syrup she started crying again is not sleeping at all. Did she get addicted to this syrup that she is unable to sleep with out it and does colimex syrup make baby drowsy? She hasn't passed stool past 5 days though her tummy is not hard am still worried if this is causing colic
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colimex-DF doesn't cause sedation and addiction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Kids usually get colic around the age of 6 weeks. It can be relived by giving drops like Colimex-DF or Colic aid drops.

These drops usually contain dill oil and fenill oil which give relief from colicky pain.

Colimex-DF drops doesn't lead to addiction and dependency. And it doesn't contain any sedative drug to cause drowsiness in the child.

You can give Colimex-DF drops in prescribed dose whenever the child cries with colic.

And you can do gentle massage on baby tummy or hold the child in upright position with tummy on your shoulder which will make the child comfortable.

Kids around this age group pass stool once in 3 to 4 days, but as his tummy is soft nothing to worry. But because of not passing stool for a few days, there may be accumulation of gas in tummy and this will cause discomfort.

And colic, gas problems will settle down by the age of 3 or 4 months.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.