Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest?

Psychiatrist
Question
I was prescribed buprenorphine 8mg 3x's a day for 2 days before starting suboxone 8mg a day to be cut into forths to be taken 4 X's a day. I have 2 buprenorphine left, I am not going through w/draweles . However I have Xanax and valium to help with that but, horrible pysh cravings. PLEASE HELP, WILL I PUT MYSELF INTO W/DRAWLES OR HARM MY SELF IF I GO AHEAD AND TAKE 2MG OF THE SUBOXONE
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No its not likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
If you are already on buprenorphine and you are not having any withdrawal symptoms then it is very less likely that you will be having withdrawal symptoms with naloxone in suboxone.
Even if you have withdrawal, you have valium to get over it and that shold not be a problem. Also remember one thing that unlike lacohol or benzo withdrawal, opioid withdrawal is never so toxic and fatal and you will come over it.
Try monitoring your withdrawal and if its severe you should seek admission. Otherwise for now you can continue to accept the medications as prescribed by your addiction specialist.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 29 minutes later
So it is o kay to go ahead and start suboxon SL, even though I HAVE NOT FINISHED THE PERSCRIPTION FOR BUPRENORPHINE. CAN I DRINK ACOHOL, WHILE TAKING SUBOXON SL
DOES SUBOXON SL HELP WITH PAIN?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should start

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow-up.
Yes you should strat suboxone but dont take them together. Cause suboxone already has buprenorphine in it.
Its preferable to avoid alcohol while taking Suboxone.
Suboxone can reduce the pain to some extent.
Hope that answers your concerns,
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 20 minutes later
I TOOK A BUPRENORPHINE 8MG ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO AND HAVE DRANK ABOUT 4 BEERS, I ALSO HAVE VALIUM, XANAX, ADDERALL(ABOUT 6 HOURS AGO 30MG), AMBIEN20MG (ABOUT 2HRS AGO),PHENERGAN25MG(ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO) I DON'T WANT TO OVERDOSE, DIE OR HAVE ANY HARMFUL REACTIONS,BUT I CAN'T SLEEP MY BODY HURTS AND MY NOSE IS RUNNING. I JUST WANT TO GO TO SLEEP,BUT I WANT TO WAKE UP.(DONT FORGET I STILL HAVE 2 8MG TABLETS OF BUPRENORPHINE I WAS SUPPOSE TO TAKE BEFORE STARTING SUBOXONE SL8/2MG FLIM)WILL I BE O KAY TO START THE SUBOXONE, I'M IN PAIN,FATIGUE,BODY ACHES, AND CAN'T SLEEP. BY THE WAY IS SUBOXONE SL 8/2MG FILM AN OPID?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can start after buprenorpine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
If you still have buprenorphine left with you, finish it off before starting suboxone. No need to take it together. Dont take alcohol with these medications.
Other medications are alright,
Dont worry, you will be fine. Its just some tough time.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 23 minutes later
THE SUBOXONE SL SHOULD HELP WITH THE DISCOMFORT MUCH MORE THAN THE BUPRENORPHINE, THIS IS TO BE TURE, CORRECT? IS SUBOXONE SL AN OPID? WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MIX WITH ALCOHOL WITH SUBOXONE SL? BECAUSE I LIKE TO ENJOY A FEW BEERS A DAY. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I START THE SUBOXONE SL W/ TAKING THE LAST 2 BUPRENORPHINE? I REALIZE IT'S LOTS OF QUESTIONS TO ANSWER, I AM VERY FITIUGE AND RESTLESS. HOWEVER IT IS NOT W/DRAWELS, I KNOW W/DRAWELS VERY WELL! WILL I HARM MYSELF IF I SKIP THE LAST 2 BUPRENORPHINE? I AM READY FOR SOME
RELEIF/REST.
I WOULD LIKE TO START THE FILM,I JUST WANT TO WAKE UP, I DONT WANT TO DIE

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either way its Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You can use suboxone without finishing buprenorphine as I said before that there is biprenorphine in suboxone as well. Suboxone is not actually a true opiod but buprenorphine acts as an agonist on opiod receptors.
You should abstain from alcohol during this phase. you may enjoy them but you should abstain at present.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 12 minutes later
WHY DO THEY GIVE YOU BIPRENORPHINE TO TAKE BEFORE SUBOXONE SL?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are different drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Naloxone cannot be given initially as it will precipitate a sever withdrawal. Instead buprenorphine, a partial agonist is given before to reduce the opiod dose and then when the tendency for withdrawal is less naloxone is given.
Thats the reason why Suboxone (containing naloxone) is given after buprenorphine.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 5 minutes later
SO BASICILY BUPRENORPHINE TAKES THE OPIDS OUT OF MY SYSTEM? WILL THERE BE W/DRAWELS REGARDLESS? WHAT IS NALOXONE?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Buprenorphine is in some sense a mild opioid and helps as a "half step" before you go completely off opiod.
Yes there will be a withdrawal but milder if you are on buprenorphine.
Naloxone is a cotent of suboxone and it is a pure antagonist of opiod receptor. It can induce a withdrawal among thos eused to take opioids.
Hope that helps
dDr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Prescribed buprenorphine before starting suboxone. Not having withdrawal. Suggest? 7 minutes later
ONE MORE QUESTION, YOU SAID I SHOULD ABSTAIN DURING THIS PHASE FROM ALOCHOL. JUST WHILE TAKING BURENOPHRINE?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both the phases

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up query.
It would be advisable to abstain from alcohol while you are on the treatment for opioid De addiction.
The presence of alcohol will effect the metabolism of the drugs that you are taking.
Hence it is not advisable.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy