Prescribed augmentin duo antibiotic for for fever. Started diarrhoea. Any advice?

My friend had fever on last Thursday till Saturday on seeing the doctor, he has prescribed Augmentin Duo antibiotic for 5 days. However since this morning she is complaining of Diarrhoea, 5 times loose motion in a span of 5 hours. Please advise if she should be consulting her doc again.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The bowel upset can be due to antibiotic related diarrhea. First of all, make sure that your friend eats plenty of curd and take probiotics or sporolac XXXXXXX after consulting her doctor. These will tackle the diarrhea.

It is also important to maintain the hydration levels by taking Electral or Gatorade solution . Chicken broth, tea, ginger ale, Popsicles, XXXXXXX cranberry, or grape juice can be taken. The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Apricot or peach nectar, bananas, and mashed or baked potatoes are all high in potassium. In case of diarrhea, potassium is lost and it is important to replace it.

Further, she should avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, beans, raw vegetables, raw fruits, broccoli, corn, cabbage, cauliflower and alcohol until recovery is complete.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.