Prescribed Topamax for migraines. Found irregular heartbeat and could not have cataract removed. Side effect?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Yes I recently was prescribed Topamax for migraines a month after The Dr found an irregular heartbeat, I just went in yesterday to have a cataract removed and they couldn't do it because they found an iregular heartbeat, I have NEVER had this problem before EVER and I think it's the Topamax causing it, I quit taking it yesterday
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Irregular heartbeat is not one of the recognised side-effects of Topamax but that does not mean it will not cause it very occasionally. There is a possibility that it is coincidence that you have developed an irregular heartbeat at this time.
One of the commonest causes of an irregular heartbeat at your age is atrial fibrillation. This is treatable with medication and is unlikely to affect your health significantly.
I would suggest you visit your doctor to discuss a definitive diagnosis and treatment options.
Dr K A Pottinger