Prescribed Remylin D. What is its use? Are there side effects?

ENT Specialist
Question
Why my family doctor prescribed me Remylin D and what is the use of this tablet and side effects of this tablet?
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks of the query

REMYLIN-D contains alpha lipoic acid 100 mg, pyridoxine hydrochloride 3 mg, methylcobalamin 1500 mcg, folic acid 1.5 mg, vitamin D3 1000 IU. The important contents in this mixture are Methylcobalamin and Vitamin D3. It was probably prescribed to you as a nutritional supplement.

1. Methylcobalamin is one of the several forms of vitamin B12. It is used in the treatment of anemia (with B12 deficiency), neurological disorders, where the patients experience numbness, tingling, and other symptoms. Many a times it is used as a nutritional supplement.

The side effects are rare and minimal; it includes itching, skin irritation, diarrhea, etc.

2. Vitamin D is essential for the efficient utilization of calcium by the body. Vitamin D3 is a vitamin which is vital for normal functioning of the nervous system. It also helps in maintenance of blood calcium levels within the narrow range, as well as for bone growth, and bone density. It is thought that low levels of vitamin D can cause asthma; hence it is sometimes prescribed to asthmatics.

Side effects of Vitamin D3 are nil or negligible. Side effects are noticed on taking too much of vitamin D this includes weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, loss of appetite, dry mouth, metallic taste, vomiting, etc.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head Neck Surgeon