Prescribed Primolut N tablets to stop abnormal vaginal bleeding . To have pap smear. Will it affect birth control pills?

I am a 26 year old female. I have been prescribed Primolut N tablets to stop some abnormal vaginal bleeding - I have had my period for 4 weeks now. My doctor said to wait until I stopped bleeding and then have a pap smear. I had a negative STI panel done, and I am not pregnant - she also tested for that. Will taking Primolut affect birth control pills - I currently take Levlen.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

You must tell your doctor about taking birth control pills as the withdrawal bleeding will be more if you are taking so much hormones

I think you should stop taking birth control pills for next cycle and take only progesterone taking precautions for birth control like barrier methods

See the effect of progesterone , get an ultrasound done , if there is an endometrial thickness you can get an EB done

Tranexamic acid is a good drug to control the bleeding

Note : You should be cautious for not getting pregnant as you are on sodium valproate and antiepileptic drugs are contraindicated in first trimester of pregnancy

Do not forget to take iron supplements
Best wishes