Prescribed Olimelt for delusional disorder. Does it cause sleepiness? Alternative treatment?

Dec 2014

My husband is diagnosed with a problem called Delusional Disorder[jealousy].He has been prescribed tablet OLIMELT 5mg at bed time.He took the medicine off and on for about a month and then discontinued it saying he feels sleepy the next day at his work.He is an executive in a bank and is very proficient and competent in his work.I have few questions. One is does olimelt result in hangover ? And secondly how can a person having a psycho problem be doing so good at the professional level? Is this problem curable? Is there any treatment in alternative form of medicine? I need to know the answers as my marriage is falling apart.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 22 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Delusion is basically false, firm belief that is unshakable. It can occur either as a part of some Psychotic disorder like Schizophrenia in which delusions of prosecution, reference etc are seen. Delusion of Jealousy or Morbid Jealousy is also a type of delusion. It is mainly seen in persons who take excess amount of alcohol. But it can occur in otherwise healthy individuals.

Olimelt is Olanzapine, it is a antipsychotic drug with proven results in delusional disorder also. It is an otherwise safe drug, but some side effects like sedation, increased appetite, weight gain, increased cholesterol etc. may be seen with olanzapine.

Now coming to your questions-
--It may cause sedation but it doesn’t result in hangover. 5 mg dose daily is not a very high dose and at this dose there are no serious side effects.

--Delusional disorder is a Psychotic disorder in which apart from things related to delusion the individual remains normal in most of domains. He functions normal in social, occupational and personal life. He is having isolated delusion only, otherwise he doesn't have any behavioral or mood problem.

--Yes this problem is curable. But proper use of right medicines for long time is must for treatment. Usually such patients refuse to accept their problem; they refuse to XXXXXXX a psychiatrist. So proper treatment is very challenging, but response is good with medicines.

--Other medicines like Quitiapine, Aripiprazole, Resperidone etc are also atypical antipsychotic drugs can be given for his condition. Psychosocial treatment as Psychotherapy by a trained psychologist has proven results.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
Follow-up: Prescribed Olimelt for delusional disorder. Does it cause sleepiness? Alternative treatment? 3 hours later
In reply to one of my queries you said that the person suffering from delusional disorder [jealous type] functions normal in personal life whereas in my husband's case the scenario is absolutely different.He functions normal at occupational and also at social level but at the personal /family front he is a different person altogather.Nobody from the outside world can perceive how he behaves with his family/spouse till they interact with the family over a period of time.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Hello again

I have mentioned that apart from things related to delusion he functions normal in social, occupational and personal life. In his case his delusion (morbid jealousy) is related to personal front so he is different in this domain. Otherwise he will function normal in his personal decisions and judgements. He will appear normal to outside world.

Hope I cleared your doubt. If you are satisfied with conversation please review.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi