Prescribed Naturogest during pregnancy. Have endometriosis. Safe to take?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
iam 32 years old and have been married for 4 years. i had done laproscopy this january and Dr said i am having endometriosis now iam 8-9weeks pregnant .dr gave me naturogest200mg tablet once 2 time a day( mornig and night ) .is ther any problem in takingthe medicine for 3 months ? is any side effect of any harm full for my self ? one more thing , in this period cane i sex with my partner is it possible or not ? is there any problem ?? during the regency cane i sex with my partner ?
kindly help me

Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 46 minutes later

Let me begin by congratulating you for your pregnancy. Patients of endometriosis have difficulty in getting pregnant.

Naturogest is a hormone, a natural progestrogen, which helps to support an early pregnancy. This is usually given until the placenta takes over the function of making hormones to support the pregnancy which happens just about 3 months of pregnancy.

Your doctor has advised you to take Naturogest until 3 months - this is absolutely scientific and correct. Further, your doctor may ask you to take it for even longer. It’s ok. Take it easy. Relax. This won't do you or your baby any harm. It’s for your benefit.

As far as having sex is concerned - ALL pregnant patients are generally asked to avoid sex in the first 3 months because the pregnancy is just settling down. In your case, no-sex is even more important because you have had difficulty in getting pregnant, you had endometriosis and a laparoscopy after which you became pregnant. So please wait until at least 4 months of pregnancy before you have sex. By this time, your doctor will also have checked the position of the placenta on ultrasound because if the placenta is low, sexual intercourse may cause you to bleed and baby may die.

If, however, you and your husband desire to have sex despite the need to take care, please ask your husband to use a condom and to be as gentle and superficial as possible so as not to impact the pregnant uterus. Semen contains certain substances called prostaglandins which cause contractions of the uterus. So avoid direct contact by using condom when pregnant.

Let me re-inforce: The safest time to have sex during pregnancy is after 4th month provided your placenta is not low down which can be seen on your ultrasound scan done at this time.

Hope this answers your queries. If you have any doubts please let me know.

Enjoy your pregnancy but be safe and sensible.