Prescribed Mobizox for pain in knee. This medicine is banned in countries. Is it safe to take?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been prescribed Mobizox for pain in my knee. I have read that this drug is banned in very many countries but freely prescribed by Doctors here in India. Why is that so and should I take it for my knee pain? XXXXX
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The brand mobizox contains diclofenac sodium 50mg, acetaminophen (paracetamol) 500mg and chlorzoxazone 500mg and is marketed by RANBAXY which is a reputed Multinational company.
CHLORZOXAZONE is centrally acting MUSCLE RELAXANT most often prescribed for musculoskeletal problems.
As this combination contains paracetamol and chlorzoxazone which are both Hepatotoxic (causes liver damage), there is always an added risk of liver problems. So this combination is not recommended. This is especially true in a patient who has already a compromised liver function.

So if you have any liver problems, I definitely NOT RECOMMEND this combination.

Hope I have answered your query. Happy to help if you need any more clarifications.