Prescribed Metformin for PCOS. How long until I start seeing improvement in ovulation?

Question
HI my obgyn has prescibed me metformin for treatment of my pcos how long untill i start seeing some improvement with my ovulation. Its been almost 3 months now.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 minutes later

It does need a long time for the Metformin to show its effect on ovulation in patients with PCOS.The duration of its effect depends on the age , the involvement of the ovary and the external hirsutsim (hormonal) features.

On an average it may take 6 month for one to resume better ovarian function enough to be favourable for getting pregnant.

If you are overweight and loosing weight after metformin , it is a good sign as it indicates successful treatment with metformin.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.