Prescribed Metforim to help lose weight. What are the side effects?

Hi- My doctor prescribed Metforim to help me lose weight. It is working, albeit I have to watch greasy foods. I am 62 years old with a big belly. Is there any main concern I should have about taking Metforim?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information And recommendations.

Metformin is a very commonly used medication in the field of diabetes management. This medication focuses on helping your body deal with elevations of blood sugar. It helps your body store this sugar in Your liver as well as your muscles.

Metformin has been used in practice for many many years. It is generally very well-tolerated. We do sometimes use caution in patients who have significantly limited kidney function. This does not appear to be the case for you. At this point I think this is an excellent medication for you to continue to use in the process of managing your diabetes as well as helping you focus on gradual weight loss.

Thank You again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga