Ask a Dentist   »  

Prescribed Hydrocod and Clindamycin for tooth pain. Left side swollen. What can be done?

HI, it is ok to take Hydrocod/IBU 7.5mg and Clindamycin 300 mg at the same time? They were prescribed yesterday by the dentist to get rid of an infection in a tooth and the pain before a root canal. I have taken as prescribed and
woke up this morning with the left side of my face swollen--almost like mumps--and the swelling extends down the left
side of my throat on the outside.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later

The medication given to you was correct and was to control pain and infection. You may take them as advised.

Root canal treatment is an invasive procedure, where pulp tissue has to be removed from the teeth canal. To prevent any infection in future an antibiotic cover is given before the procedure.

Don't worry about the swelling. It may be due to collection of pus in the teeth canal.
Once the canal is opened during treatment and pus is drained, this swelling will be relieved. XXXXXXX your dentist as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.