Prescribed Femilon to break periods. Noticed weight gain and bedding during urine. Side effects?

I used to have heavy & extremely painful period cycles for 4 days and then it would slow down in the consecutive 3 days. As I am working as well it used to be a nuisance every month. The gynecologist I had gone to prescribed Femilon top help me reduce the number of cycles and the pain (the cycle was 2 packs of Femilon & then a break to have the period and then back on). I have been taking it for about 2 years now and noticed my weight has been increasing ever since I started Femilon.
I decided to stop Femilon this month. I have had my period on the 13th of May. After the usual 7 days it seemed to be over, however ever I still have spotting and / or bursts of bleeding on and off during urination. There is no pain of any sort at any time.
Is this normal or a side effect of stopping the medication after 2 years or could there be other reasons for this?

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
After taking a birth control pill like femilon for two years, it takes at least 3-4 months for your periods to regularize again. The mild spotting that you are having is due to the stopping of the pill. There is no need to worry.
This mild spotting is likely to subside without any treatment in next 1-2 weeks.
You might also have a few irregular and anovulatory cycles initially but this will all normalize in next 3-4 months.
In case the bleeding persists or becomes heavier then you might need some hormonal treatment to regularize your cycles again.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Prescribed Femilon to break periods. Noticed weight gain and bedding during urine. Side effects? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for the prompt response.
Appreciate it if you could clarify the following:-
1. What is the advisable time period one can take Femilon for? Does its prolonged use cause any damage or side effects?
2. I tend to travel quite a bit and will be traveling again at the end of XXXXXXX (possibly for a month). I was planning to start Femilon again for that one month. Is it advisable to do so?
3. Are there any other ways with least possible side effects to control the periods?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
1. The birth control pills like femilon can be used for many years- 7-10 years if there are no medical health problems. Its prolonged use does not cause any long lasting problems. After stopping the pills, it takes few months for the cycles to return to normal.
2. Yes. You can use Femilon again for one month for your convenience.
3. Femilon is a low dose hormonal pill and is the safest alternative. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Prescribed Femilon to break periods. Noticed weight gain and bedding during urine. Side effects? 32 minutes later
Hi Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for the clarifications.

So this would mean I can take Femilon as and when required rather than continuously using it ?
Also, if there anything that can be done about the weight gain due to the use of Femilon (besides exercising) as mine is mainly a desk job?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
You can take Femilon for a cycle or two as per your need.
To decrease the weight gain, regular exercising and diet restrictions will be helpful.
Have healthy snacks easily available, e.g. carrot or celery sticks in the fridge and plenty of fruit.
Keep fat and sugar intake low.
Buy a new healthy cookbook to get inspired on cooking healthy meals.