Prescribed Dronis. Can I have unprotected sex? Will I be ovulating normally with discharge? Had PCOS

Question
Hello Doctor..my gynac has prescribed Dronis 30 for 6 cycles and has told me to start on the 4th day of my period.(my periods are irregular,delay of 14-20 days sometimes) As this is the first time I will be on contraceptive ,i would like to know whether I can have sex without protection or do I have to abstain from it for certain days in other words will i be ovulating normally with the discharge as the sign so that I can avoid sex? I dont want to go in for another pregnancy as I have a 1 year old Child.So my gynac has advised me contraceptive to avoid pregnancy as well as to regularize my cycle.. Please clear my confusion.. (before marriage i was on the onset of polycystic ovaries syndrome, it was cleared off by treatment and diet and i had conceived soon after marriage)
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 2 hours later

Dronis is a contraceptive pill and also helps in regularisation of cycle. If you are using pills correctly without missing, chances of pregnancy are almost negligible. You need not use other contraceptive with pills to avoid pregnancy. For more detail you can read patient information leaflet from UK available on internet.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Follow-up: Prescribed Dronis. Can I have unprotected sex? Will I be ovulating normally with discharge? Had PCOS 10 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for answering my query..So doctor, does ovulation happen when I am on the pill (Dronis 30).Will i get the ovulation discharge? As you have said that if pills taken correctly chances of pregnancy are negligible, so i dont have to abstain from sex on certain days?
Follow-up: Prescribed Dronis. Can I have unprotected sex? Will I be ovulating normally with discharge? Had PCOS 3 hours later
Thanks doctor i checked the PIL from UK it has answered my queries.
Thanks

Thanks for writing back.
Oral contraceptive pills cause anovulation which means no ovulation. Thus there would be no change in the consistency of the cervical mucus at the time of ovulation. You need not abstain from sex on certain days if you are using pills correctly i.e. without missing a single dose.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please close this discussion if you have no more queries.