Ask a Urologist   »  

Prescribed Cefuroxime for Citrobacter koseri infection. Allergic to Cipro. Difficult to treat this infection?

Is citrobacter Koseri in the urine hard to treat and if on an antibiotic will it clear up. Is it contageous to other people YYYY@YYYY I was givenCefuroxime 25mg 2x a day for 10 days. Is that the best med to treat it . I am allergic to cipro How do you get this
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
UTI is not contagious.
It will clear with a course of antibiotic. Cefuroxime is a good antibiotic
If recurrent , a possible cause needs to be looked for by doing ultrasound scans to check for stone or block.

General methods that help in prevention are
1. Plenty of oral fluids.
2. Cranberry juice.
3. Emptying the bladder at bed time.
Best regards