Prescribed Candid for oral thrush. History of HIV positivity. Have I progressed to AIDS?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I was tested HIV pos in 2005.I continued to be asymptomatic till 2010. My cd4 was 390 and my doc advised me to start meds. But I never started.Now for the last 2 years I have not checked .But I remained in good shape,except for a bout of herpes,which I got cured. Now I am in a different city and I have throat infection.I went to a local ENT surgen.I didnt reveal to him my HIV status.He diagonised my infection as oral thrush and advised me to apply CANDID mouth paint and also told me to take multivitamin tab.FARBION for a month.I just want to ask whether it is a symptom defining AIDS.whether I have progressed to AIDS.Is there any recovery back to normal,if I start meds now?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Dear AAA,

Thanks for posting your question.

Repeated bouts of Herpes, Oral thrush can be early symptoms of Aids. We test such patient for Aids. They are not Aids defining diseases but indicators. Now by this time your CD4 count would have come down around 250-200. It is not too late. Start your ART as early as possible and continue regularly without any slip as per your doctor's advice. Do not stop them without letting your treating doctor know.
Definitely your immunity will return back to normal and your CD4 count will become above 400 soon and you will have a normal and healthy life ahead .
Get well soon.