Prescribed Augmentin for tonsillitis. Uvula is swollen. Will penicillin treat this?

I went to the Dr last night and he prescribed Augmentin for tonsillitis.

I've woken up this morning and my uvula is 3-4 times it's normal size. Will the penicillin treat this?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need anti inflammatory measures

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

It looks like you have a very bad upper respiratory tract infection involving the tonsils and uvula. You have been given the right antibiotics for it, please continue taking them along with that please follow these suggestions

1. An inflammatory drug like Levocetrizine at night will help reduce the inflammation and will also give some amount of symptomatic relief.
2. Please do salt water gargling with XXXXXXX warm water three times daily, this simple step will help you recover faster.
3. Avoid cold food items and beverages until you recover
4. Please revisit your doctor if you develop and breathing difficulty

I must add here that repeated episodes of tonsillitis calls for a tonsillectomy, make sure you discuss this with your ENT surgeon if you get Seven or more episodes in a year or five or more per year for two years.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me