Prescribed 3 capsules of omega-3 softgels, but taking 5. safe or overdose?

hi. my family doctor told me to take 3 capsules of omega-3 softgels per day but I've taking for 5 (more than the recommended dose on the bottle and more than what my doctor recommended) cause a nutritionist told me that I can take up to 3 grams of fish oil supplements per day. I've also been storing it in the freezer rather than just a dry cool place cause my naturopath told to do so, is this ok or would it be too much? also I am in overdose what should I do? if I go back down to 3 capsules of omega 3 per day would the overdose go away or not? thanks
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 days later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Too much of a good thing may be bad!
The fish oils are dietary supplements and not the specific treatment of any disease at best they are for health improvement because the contain omega-3 fatty acids which are good for heart and also contain vitamin A & D which can get accumulate when you take it in more than recommended doses. These vitamins if taken in overdose cause adverse effects. Reducing the dose will correct the things and restore the normalcy.
There is no need to keep the fish oil in freezer because you should know that fish oil is obtained from the liver of fish and the fish live in sea and temperature there is 20 to 50 degrees.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!