Prescibing celebrex over another proton pump inhibitor. Guide?

My doctor said he is prescibing celebrex over another proton pump inhibitor to protect me what is he talking about?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Celebrex is Celecoxib. It is a prescription NSAID drug used for treatment of acute pain. It is not proton pump inhibitor. It cannot be used in place of or replace another proton pump inhibitor.

Your doctor might have prescribed it to you for some pain relief. Please re-check with your doctor regarding the same.

Celebrex would cause gastritis as a side effect while proton pump inhibitor treats gastritis.

I hope I am clear to you. Please do write back for clarifications.

Take care!