Preparing for frozen embryo transfer. Taking estrogen tablets. Can Alaspan for hives be taken during this?

Hi, my wife is taking estrogen (premarin tablet .625mg, three times a day) to prepare for frozen embryo ransfer. However, she is having skin problem (hives) all on a sudden. While she consulted with a dermatologist, she has been prescribed Alaspan 10. Please let me know whether she can take Alaspan 10 during this cycle.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 40 minutes later
Alaspan contains loratidine which is a category B drug. This means that even though no risk has been demonstrated in animal studies, the drugs have not been adequately tested in humans to offer any guarantees.

I would suggest the following:
a. Use calamine lotion locally on the lesions if the problem is not very severe
b. A moisturizer may also help alleviate the itching.

If the problem persists, please consult her gynaecologist who would be able to prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.