Prenant. Had many painkillers like bufrin ,mobizox during the first month. Will this harm the baby?

Mar 2016

I am an r.a patient i had many painkillers like bufrin ,mobizox during 1st month...will it harm my baby. I am 1 month pregnant. I started taking folic acid just today and i stopped taking methotrexate just for two months. Suggest me wat to do
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually not harmful to baby before 1 month.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, painkiller or any external medications are not recommended ( except essential and safe drugs) throughout the pregnancy period, specially in the first trimester. It is the most vulnerable period for growing fetus.

However, if you took above mentioned drugs before realization or confirmation of your pregnancy, then it usually does not cause any harmful effect to your baby as organogenesis takes place 5th week onwards. Now, you should discontinue all above drugs except folic acid & vitamin supplements.

Second thing, you must undergo one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan around 6 to 7 weeks to get detailed picture including fetal heart beat. It is a sign of healthy pregnancy at early stage.

After that, some other investigation like double marker (9-13 weeks), QUAD test (14-20 wk), amniocentesis, repeated ultrasound scan etc are to be done to eliminate gross fetal anomaly (if any). If you get all positive result, then you can definitely carry this pregnancy.

For healthy pregnancy, you would take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (extra 350 kcal/ day than usual), drink plenty of fluids or water, take adequate bed rest, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ steeping uneven surface/ high heal shoe, maintain genital hygiene properly etc. Do not take any non-prescribed medication.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any further clarification.

Do periodic check up to your doctor for better assessment of fetal well being. Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen