Premature graying of hairs. Had vitamin B12, iron and thyroid tests. Suggest food that will increase the melanin content

A few hairs of mine turned white which is a hereditary problem for me. Although its hereditary I am just 23 years old.. I understand that those 10-12 white hairs cannot change to black.. I have done vitamin B12,iron, thyroid and other blood tests and everything seems normal. Anyway by googling out I found that the problem is due to reduction in melanin.. I want to know which food would increase my melanin content so that I can stop my hair greying further.. I would also appreciate if any doctors would suggest me foods that increase in melanin or help me in stopping this and I am a pure 100% vegetarian and I also don't eat eggs.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Premature graying of hairs is called poliosis.

Detailed Answer:

You are having premature graying of hairs..also called poliosis.

Mostly it is hereditary, but some time there may be some XXXXXXX cause.

Thyroid dysfunction,anaemia,vitiligo, early menopause in women,smoking,alopecia areata,genetic syndromes...etc may be associated with premature of greying of hairs.

You had tests and all required tests are normal,so I feel that the disease may be hereditary. The disease might be exacerbated by tension.

There is no scientific evidence that any diet, herb, supplement, or product can reduce or reverse gray hair.

Each one of us has a genetically determined time when we will get gray hair.

Certain herbs are claimed to reverse greying of bhringraj and amla.

Para amino benzoic acid is considered as anti grey hair vitamin. There are capsules available containing biotin,pentothenic acid and PABA,which may improve the condition. PABA found on whole grains you may take. It is more in liver and kedney, but you are vegetarian.

Biotin also called vitamin H, is found in egg yolks,liver,kedney,milk..etc. you may increase milk in diet.

Zinc deficiency may cause greying of hairs. So increase zinc in diet.wheat germ is the best source. Nonveg food is also having zn. But, you are not taking.

High protien diet may improve the condition. And vitamin E is also good to keep the hairs black. Best source of vitamin E is wheat germ,broccoli,spinach and eggs.

Calcium pentothenate is also having role in greying of hairs. It more found in nonveg food,whole grain,potato and whole grains.

I hope you got my answer. Still any query, you may ask.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Premature graying of hairs. Had vitamin B12, iron and thyroid tests. Suggest food that will increase the melanin content 21 hours later

Thanks for replying.

Although the answer was in detail, I am not sure about the diet I have to take as the above answer suggests just the ingredients. I would really be happy if you could suggest me a few foods that has these ingredients or how to add these ingredients in my daily intake. I still have 2 more questions.

Does using shampoos affect the color of scalp?

I heard molasses is a significant ingredient in reverse greying. Is that true? If so is that considered to be veg?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molasses may reverse the graying of hairs.

Detailed Answer:

You read previous answer again,you may get so many clues. Increase milk,wheat germ, whole grains ,spinach in diet.

Use the herbal shampoo containing amla. Use it daily at bath after diluting in water. Shampoo might disturb the texture of the hair shaft and may harm the color of hairs.

Molasses is a thick dark substance derived from cane or beet sugar. It is a honey like substance and used as sweetener in many countries.It has medicinal value for...
Chronic fatigue syndrome,Depression, anxiety, and related nervous disorders
Chronic ailments, such as arthritis and rheumatism,Tumors and fibroids, Constipation,Heart palpitations,Anemia,Acne...etc. And I have also come across in literature ,that it may reverse graying of hairs. It should be considered veg.

- The molasses is best taken dissolved in water, and drunk through a straw so that the sugar bypasses your teeth. If you dislike the taste of molasses, you add a little milk to the mix.

You may try molasses, but take for long time..few years ....

Best wishes.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD