Premature child with loss of appetite. Suggestion?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 31 week premature child was born in august weighing 1.5 kg. He is 3 and a half months old. Initially he was being fed my expressed milk but suddenly my BM reduced to a great extent and since mid september have started him on formula milk. But he started passing XXXXXXX stools that too once in a day or two. This has been a regular affair. My paediatrician says it is normal but i have my doubts. He takes around 550 to 650 ml per day and he weighs 4.7 kg now. My question is why XXXXXXX stools? he takes feeds every 2 to 2.5 hours.His milk intake is around around 50 - 60 ml at a time. Is this normal as it has not increased since 1 month? I am worried that he will not gain enough weight. Can you please help.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for the details.

It is absolutely normal for this to happen.
First breast fed baby 's stools are yellow,semi soft and 4-5 times per day.
When bottle fed the consistency becomes hard, colour changes and the frequency becomes hardly once a day or sometimes alternate day also
So do not worry about this aspect.

Secondly the XXXXXXX colour may be due to the iron content in the formula milk.
If the stools are not watery ,do not bother!

Regarding the weight gain also it is quite good.
50-60 ml at a time can be gradually increased to 75 ml-80 ml.
You prepare 3 ozs or 90 ml next time and keep trying.
See how much the baby is drinking.

Pre term babies can have reflux or regurgitation so we have to be careful when increasing the milk and can not be over enthusiastic.

Good luck
All the best

Dr Uma