Premature child has aspiration pneumonia. Spitting milk after feeding. Required treatment?

My daughter a 8 month premature(21-Dec-2012), she had aspiration pneumonia from 13-20 XXXXXXX She is spitting milk after feed( at least 3-4 times a day), Quantity is 20-30 ml sometimes. She has normal stool and urine. Weight gain is normal. Happy in Mother's lap. She cries(not always) while pooping. She has congested nose, for last 1 day
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I appreciate your concern.

Regurgitation or spitting up is common in infants during early months and is seen in about 40%.
It is because valve or sphincter which connects esophagus to stomach is not fully developed in young infants,so stomach contents are easily pushed back.
Spitting up is less seen in breast fed babies than bottle fed as later swallows more air.
As your baby is gaining adequate weight so there is nothing to worry.
Here are few suggestions;.
-give your baby less feed at frequent intervals.
-do not move your baby vigorously after feeding.
-held him in upright position against shoulder for 15 to 20 minutes,
-In lying down position keep head elevated to 30 to 40 degree.
-also keep baby in left lateral position that is left shoulder down right up.
In case this persist get your baby evaluated by pediatrician.

Hope i have answered your query.if you have any question i would be glad to help.
Wishing your baby good health.
God bless!!
Follow-up: Premature child has aspiration pneumonia. Spitting milk after feeding. Required treatment? 8 hours later
She started spitting more frequently from 15th(yesterday) 3 PM, still around 50% feeds, she is digesting properly(no spitting). She has little cough(nose is blocked). We are going to physician today. Please advice with probable causes(disease wise) of spitting in infants.
Thanks again.
I understand your concern.
Relax, there is nothing to worry.
Monitor her activity, urine output and feeding pattern.
If symptoms persist, she may need medication like ranitidine or domperidone as per dosage after consulting with your doctor.
But most of the times this subside after making some alterations in feeding pattern as I already mentioned.
Regarding nose block you can use saline nasal drops 4 to 5 times a day before feeding.

If you have any further query would like to help.
Wishing you and your family good health.
God bless.
Follow-up: Premature child has aspiration pneumonia. Spitting milk after feeding. Required treatment? 1 hour later
In her last visit doctor has given her(to my daughter), Atarax, Domperidone, neopeptine.

I doubt the Atarax(which has side effect of vomiting, and i dont know for what reason he had given her)
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 minutes later
Thanks for your follow-ups.
Atarax (hydroxizine) is first generation anti histamine given for some allergic condition.
I suggest you to stop it. Discuss with the treating doctor regarding this.
Continue with neopeptine and domperidone.

Hope, I answered your queries.
God bless.