Premature baby. Unable to sit down by self for short period and very unbalanced. Is this normal?

Feb 2013

Hi, my daughter is 8 months old ,she's premature was born at 35 weeks
my question is about setting down by herself ,she can set down by herself for short period only less than a minute ,i cant rely on leaving her when she's setting down as i feel she's not very balanced ,is that normal?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sitting herself for short period looks normal.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand what you mean by 'setting' herself for short period. You mean to say about her milestone of sitting without support.

Around 8 months of age, the kids usually sit without support, but they sit for brief period and usually forward on hands and the back will be rounded.

As the age increases they master in sitting without support for prolonged times.

By 10 months of age kids sit up alone and indefinitely without support, with the back straight.

As your daughter is sitting without support for short period, it appears normal for her age.

As her age increases, she will learn to sit without support for longer periods, usually by the age of 10 months.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.