Pregnant,ultrasound,normal CBP,TSH.TIFFA test needed?

hi doc, I'm 28 years old. Im 24 weeks pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. My doc has suggested for ultrasound at 18 weeks and everything was normal and CBP, TSH also were normal. TIFFA is not yet suggested.
All my friends have got TIFFA done during 20-24 weeks of pregnancy. Can you pls tell me if its mandatory to get TIFFA done.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

First of all congratulations to the mother to be.

Normally scan done at 16-18 weeks by good radiologist is good enough to pick up any fetal abnormality .Then it is advised only near term to see that things are fine.

Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies (TIFA) scan is normally done between 18-23 weeks, again the purpose is same to detect fetal abnormality.This is not must as I told you earlier and when something is suspected then only this can be advised.

Please do not worry, your doctor is always concerned about you and your baby both, and when ever necessary he will advise the test as per the need.

A good clinician can pick up something wrong even without any investigation. Now a days with the advent of new age ultrasound machines things are preety easy to diagnose and expertise is also good.

Take good nutritious diet, do some regular exercise after discussing it with your doctor. Continue with Calcium and Iron tablets after the pregnancy for about a month.

Do not worry,You will not have any problems and just trust your doctor for any queries and make sure you follow his advise only.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.

Wishing you all the best.