Pregnant,trouble sleeping,side effects of temazepam?

Hi I had temazepam 10mg for 2 nights recently as i could sleep, i have been trying to conceive for a while now and I have just realised the danger of temazepam, if I am pregnant. I would be 3-4 wks pregnant at present. what concerns should I have, is there test to see if I have damaged the foetus?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Temazepam is a newer Benzodiazepine. Benzodazepine may cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman. Safety in pregnancy has not been established and therefore, temazepam should not be used during pregnancy.

Several studies have suggested an increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of the benzodiazepines, during the first trimester of pregnancy. If the drug is prescribed to a woman of child bearing potential, she should be warned to consult her physician regarding discontinuation of the drug if she intends to become or suspects that she is pregnant.

Yes, there are a few tests which may be helpful even in early pregnancy (<11 months). But none of them are 100 % accurate. They are
(1) Early detection of fetal anomalies by transvaginal ultrasonography
(2) Chromosomal study