Pregnant,pimples on chin,sore,infected,Dettol

Hi, I am 8.5 months pregnant and have a few pimple under my chin that are sore and infected. I have put Dettol anticeptic on it, but is that enough? It's very sore, and red , but I'm sure I can deal with it if it's not going to affect my baby. thanks - i can send you a photo but I am not sure how to do that. I feel fine generally , its just the soreness of the spots.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

I need to know a few things before I give you my best opinion-

1. How long the pimple has been there?
2.Does it come and go or it is constant?
3. Do you have a natural tendency to have pimples?

It will be best if you could send me a picture of the affected area.
Please mail me the picture to YYYY@YYYY SUB: ATTN Dr.Rakhi Tayal.

Please do not forget to reply back here once you mail the picture or reports , so that I can view it as a follow up and answer your query here.

Anticipating an early response.

Follow-up: Pregnant,pimples on chin,sore,infected,Dettol 29 minutes later

Thank you for your reply.

I do not usually get too many spots- they started in pregnancy and during pregancy I have had a lot more than normal, pretty much all of them in the neck / chin area. This is just one of them that got infected - I think because I got some dirt in it while I was teaching outside the other day, and did not wash it properly.

When I am not pregnant I usually get a pimple here and there, but not as many as when I am pregnant it seems.

I have sent the picture as you said above. Is there any over the counter treatment I can buy or should I go to see a doctor?

THank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

After going through your picture it seems that the Acne you have are infected. Antibiotic treatment is the main course of treatment in such cases like yours.

These kind of Acne are common during pregnancy due to high levels of female hormone in the body leading to excess secretion of sebum from the skin glands which are prone to infection.

It would be better to see your doctor as Antibiotics are required and can only be prescribed after complete physical examination and also for Antibiotics which are safe in pregnancy.

Please avoid any OTC available anti Acne products as they might contain some ingredients which are not recommended for use in pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you an early recovery.