Pregnant with twins, bed rest with a placenta previa, swollen labia. Is this a serious problem?

I am 15 weeks pregnant with twins. I am on bed rest with a Placenta Previa. All of the sudden, I woke up with a very swollen labia. It is uncomfortable to get up and go to the bathroom. I just want to know if this is a problem. I don't have a doc appt for another week.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A swollen labia during pregnancy is a common finding. It happens due to varicose veins and decreased venous drainage in the area.
During pregnancy, you cant do much to help with this problem and it subsides spontaneously after the pregnancy is over. Please do not worry.
It does not affect the baby in any way.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant with twins, bed rest with a placenta previa, swollen labia. Is this a serious problem? 55 minutes later
Thank you. In reading up on this before I contacted this website I did read that this was common, but not this early. Is it really normal at only 15 weeks? It is also pretty painful. The bottom part of the labia is bumpy and has pustules. Is it possible that there is an infection or something else? Just trying to find an alternative cause because this is really uncomfortable, especially if this symptom persists through the entire pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If there are pustules present over the swollen labia then it needs a direct examination by gynecologist and swab culture as infection is a possibility.
The swelling of labia can occur a bit early in case of twin pregnancy due to larger size of the uterus. Meanwhile you need to avoid sex and apply an antiseptic ointment like neosporin in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.