Ask a Dentist   »  

Pregnant with tooth pain. Advised to take kettorol DT and mouth gel. Safe during pregnancy?

Hi I'm 29 years old and I'm 27 week pregnent. I have tootch ache problem and went ot see a dentist today. He gave Mouth gel and adviced to take Kettorol DT one tablet if the pain is more. Please let me know if it is safe to take the tablet. Thank you
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Kettorol DT contains Ketorolac which is a Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory medicine.
It is a very good analgesic.

Till now, there has not been any proven trial in human beings showing any side effects in foetus with Ketorolac.

Ketorolac has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA.

This means:
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus or there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Therefore, I recommend that you must avoid using it unless its an unbearable pain. Also, you can consider taking safer alternatives such Paracetamol for pain.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back to me if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.