Pregnant with swollen labia minora. No itching or discharge. Clitoral hood hurts after urinating. What is going on?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
hello, am 18weeks pregnant and have been experiencing a swollen labia minora in the right side only since 14months of pregnancy.i have no itch,discharge or dont feel it during sex but its there swollen. it comes and goes and some times walking is tough.
some times my clitoral hood hurts too especially at nite. turning from one side to another hurt,its like am pulling some thing down there. after emptying my bladder it at times feels alittle better..
whats going on? should i worry?? the doctor said its too early for me to get these pain, and and not expecting twins..so not baby weight.. i now have a pain running down in the middle of my right leg..is it connected at all??
help !
thank you.
mons.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

There could be a number of causes for this, but none of them serious; you'll be pleased to know.

Swelling in this area is a real nuisance, not to say an embarrassment.

It does not sound like thrush, because it is confined to the labia and you do not mention any vaginal discharge.

Coming up as quickly as this, it is most likely to be some form of allergy or dermatitis, and the commonest causes of this in this area is a reaction to something you are coming into contact with.

This could be to do with clothing – say the material of your underwear or jeans. Or it could be a vaginal deodorant or spray if you use one, or even a bath additive of some sort.

This is a very sensitive area, so think about whether there is something you are coming into contact with in this region that might be causing it.

Pain running down in legs is due to certain changes in muscles and tendons your body due to hormonal changes. They are trying to adapt to pregnancy. This will go away soon.

Your bladder is getting slowly compressed between your baby and the abdominal wall. Hence your clitoral pain reduces after passing urine.

For relief from swelling in labia minora, try getting some 1 per cent hydrocortisone cream. This is mild, but very good for relieving swelling, itching and inflammation, and you can buy it over the counter quite cheaply.

If it doesn't settle down or you get other symptoms as well, such as redness and pain, which might indicate local infection, then you should check with your doctor.

I hope I answered your query. I am available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Pregnant with swollen labia minora. No itching or discharge. Clitoral hood hurts after urinating. What is going on? 1 hour later
thank you so much for the response doctor am so grateful,i dont think its what i wear that is irritating me,( will try hydrocortisone though) i even stopped wearing panties(embarrassing) but i stay home so i see no need to especially when this started. i notice pain gets worse when i walk or stand for long periods of time or sitting for a long time, there is a pressure..so i walk legs apart..my baby isn't that heavy. walking is the most difficult( that whole area down there hurts while i walk. i have no history of weak uterus ,i was so normal with my first born.
I don't have any redness or itch or discharge, when i touch it there is no pain par-say but its swollen. as i write now the swelling has gone down but i feel pressure when walking. later swelling and pressure will surface again . its on and off daily different times of the day.
Am so sorry if am confusing ,am just worried that it doesn't end up as some thing so serious later ..yet we could have stopped it. am trying to get as much knowledge about it as i can so i stop worrying .
am so grateful for your response Dr XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It has not got nothing to do with a weak uterus. It just superificial swelling of labia minora. It could be due to allergy as I said. Another possibility is that it could be due to edema ( collection of fluid) in labia minora. Long standing, walking or sitting leads to edema of labia or vulva or even legs as pregnancy advances. This is due to following factors:

1) Lymphatic obstruction: Any obstruction to lymph vessles due to the enlarged uterus containing babny might lead to stagnation of lymph due to weight blocking lymph circulation on one side or both sides. This results in edema.

2) Venous obstruction: Any obstruction to veins due to the enlarged uterus containing babny might lead to stagnation of blood in veins due to weight blocking of venous circulation on one side or both sides. This results in edema.

The Remedy to this is as follows:

Take frequent rest: Lie down on your left side every three hours for half an hour. This releases pressure on lymph / veins and eases the flow.

This is a temporaray phenomenon. This will get corrected once baby size increases and uterus spreads out evenly in your abdomen. Let me reassure you that this condition is going to go away soon. Please follow my advice as I said.

Be relaxed and enjoy the pregnancy phase of your life. Everything will be just fine.

Hope I answered all your questions. If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Pregnant with swollen labia minora. No itching or discharge. Clitoral hood hurts after urinating. What is going on? 15 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my worries am so grateful. i feel much better now and i will do as told ! thank you!!!! :) :)
mons.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later

I am happy that you are satisfied with my answer. Please accept my answer and close the discussion.

I will be available when ever you have any problems to ask. Please mention "kind attn Dr.Mahesh Koregol" in you queries.

I wish you a joyful pregnancy.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol