Pregnant with nine weeks, but foetal heartbeat not started. Reason?

Mar 2016

Hai am 9 weeks pregnant but my fetal heartbeat is not started yet am very afraid about this..
Is there any pbm or still have a chance
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

In general, fetal hear beat is detected around 7-8 weeks of gestational period through abdominal ultrasound and on 6-7 weeks by Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan).

In this circumstances, you can wait one week to repeat the ultrasound scan (USG) for confirmation and before taking intervention steps. Otherwise it may turn into missed abortion (most possible) or loss of current pregnancy. Hence, you need to undergo D & E (surgical method) to complete the abortion.

Here, you should continue to take micronised progesterone along with folic acid & vitamin supplement until proceed to repeat USG scan.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Pregnant with nine weeks, but foetal heartbeat not started. Reason? 23 minutes later
Thank u ur answer almost at 9 week 4days there still possibility for fetal to start heartbeat periods are regular 34 days cycle can i still wait one more week

Is there any injuction to start fetal heartbeat
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Sometimes in late fertilization (few percentage only), it is seen that fetal heart beat is detected by abdominal ultrasound scan around 8-9 weeks. If the embryo is less than 5mm CRL, it is possible for it to be healthy without showing a heart beat, though a follow up scan is needed in 5-7 days to see cardiac activity.

If you have undergone ultrasound scan very recent with undetectable fetal heart beat, then it may not be possible to detect heart beat through follow up scan as you are in 10th week now following normal fertilization (according to your cycle).

Here, most possible outcome is missed abortion. Please consult with your gynecologist to proceed D & E (surgical abortion) or you can wait for natural miscarriage.

Hope, I have cleared your all doubts. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen