Pregnant with low lying placenta. Risks involved in taking long flights?

Infertility Specialist

My wife's ultrasound report at 24 weeks 4 days says "Placenta is posteriorly placed, low lying and reaching upto XXXXXXX os but not covering it. It shows grade 0 maturity" .She needs to travel next week on a flight to Sydney to be with me. The flight is via Singapore with a 4 hours stop. The total flight time is 14 hours and she is travelling alone. Please suggest if she is fit to travel. Are there any risks involved?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Since she is 24 weeks plus with low lying placenta it is not advisable to fly 14 hours long.

2) There is possibility of bleeding due to low lying placenta. If there is bleeding on way during flight it would be endangering for her life.

Hence i do not recommend flight for her at this stage.

I hope I cleared your doubts.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Pregnant with low lying placenta. Risks involved in taking long flights? 1 hour later

Thanks for answering the question. What do you suggest I do to get her here in next few weeks? I really want the baby to be born in Australia but of course with no harm to my baby or the mum.

International flights allow travelling upto the 32nd week with a medical certificate. Should I keep hope that her medical condition will improve at a later stage and she will be able to fly. I am ok to book a first class suite wherein she can sleep flat while flying.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 hours later

Wait for another 4 weeks and repeat the scan. There is possibility that placeta may midrate upwards. After that you can decide about flying from canada to australia of 14 hours duration.

I hope i answered your query.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol