Pregnant with extra fluid. Report showed discrepancy antepartum condition. Any effect on unborn?

Question
hello, i am 27 weeks 5 days pregnant. yesterday my measurements was off. The doctor said i may have some extra fluid. my measurements were 29 weeks instead of 27 weeks. could my daughter have a defect? what does a uterine size date discrepancy antprtm condition/ complication mean? that's the ultrasound that he ordered.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 35 minutes later

When the uterine size and date do not correlate with each other and a twin pregnancy is excluded, polyhydramnios or excess liquor is the most common suspicion. Polyhydramnios can occur in a variety of conditions-maternal and fetal.

Maternal causes include diabetes mellitus, Rh incompatibility between fetus and mother, renal and cardiac problems. Fetal conditions include gastro-intestinal abnormalities like esophageal atresia and duodenal atresia, dwarfism, chromosomal anomalies like Down's syndrome and Edwards' syndrome, neurological anomalies and fetal renal disorders causing increased urine production. Intrauterine TORCH infection can also cause this condition.

The exact cause can be deciphered after an ultrasound and followed by additional investigations if needed. In many cases, there is no obvious reason.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant with extra fluid. Report showed discrepancy antepartum condition. Any effect on unborn? 7 hours later
i had an ultrasound at 20 weeks and the fetus was normal. so i ruled abnormalities out. should i?

is it possible for something to be wrong with the baby at this point. this is the 1st time my measurements has been off. I also have a short cervix.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As you had the anomalies scan done, it is unlikely that anomalies could be the reason for this discrepancy. You should also check if your blood sugar values and renal function are normal. If everything is normal, then you need not worry. In majority of cases, there is no known cause and pregnancy and delivery are uneventful with some precautions like rest and regular monitoring. Anyway, you would be knowing it all once the sonogram is done. Please coordinate with your consultant for suggestions and advice.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.