Pregnant with a severe headache that throbs. Worry?

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have a severe headache that throbs for 5 secs when I stand and have mild cramping. Should I be worried? This is my third pregnancy.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Given your history of migraine headaches, these headaches seem to be an aggravation of migraine attacks. According to American pregnancy association, an increase in headaches during the first trimester is believed to be caused by the surge of hormones along with an increase in the blood volume circulating throughout your body. These headaches may be further aggravated by stress, poor posture or changes in your vision.

First of all, get plenty of rest and relaxation, exercise well and eat well balanced meals. Maintain your blood sugar by eating smaller, more frequent meals. This may also help prevent future headaches. Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.

Pain relief medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen are not recommended in most pregnancies; however, acetaminophen may be recommended by your health care provider.

If the cramps intensify or are associated with any spotting then you should consult your doctor and get an ultrasound uterus done to rule any ectopic pregnancy or impending miscarriage.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.