Pregnant with a history of PCOS and miscarriage. Taking clomid and ovitrelle. Chances of miscarriage?

Question
Hi, i had a miscarriage in January, and now i am pregnant again. I suffer from PCOS, i had a laparospcopy done in October 2012. My first pregnancy naturally ended in a misacrriage. Doc precribed me, Clomid 50 mg, Ovitrelle and Utrogestan 200mg after my period after the miscarriage. Now i am pregnant again. What are my chances of miscarriage again ? even with those medcines prescribed above? also, i have mild cramps occasionally with white vaginal discharge. Is this normal? SOME paine with Bowel movement and i cannot have sex as it get painful
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later

Polycystic ovarian disease comprises a symptom complex and hormonal imbalance is the most important part. There is a luteal phase defect, that means, progesterone is deficient in the later half of the cycle and in the event of conception, chances of abortion are more as the hormone needed to support pregnancy, namely progesterone, is not produced in sufficient quantities. This makes it necessary for hormonal supplementation during the early pregnancy stages until the placenta takes over.

The cause of abortion in your earlier pregnancy should be determined to rule out any recurrent cause. You were prescribed medication for ovulation induction and progesterone to support and Chorionic Gonadotropin to enhance ovulation. This in fact, is the usual mode of treatment.

Now that you are pregnant, you may need progesterone supplements until placental take over occurs. Please follow your doctor's advice. Avoid intercourse until mid-trimester and again during the late trimester. Vaginal discharge is normal in pregnancy unless it is associated with foul smell, itching or blood. Occasional cramping can occur in early pregnancy as the uterus enlarges, but, in view of your earlier abortion, you need to be careful. Please do not stress, take adequate bed rest and good diet.

You did not say how many weeks pregnant you are. You would need a trans-vaginal sonogram to assess the status of your pregnancy. If you are 5 weeks and above, you should be able to get a fetal pole and heart beat. See that you pass stool comfortably without any constipation. See that your diet contains enough fiber to make this possible.

If your cramps persist, you should report the matter immediately to your consultant. With all precautions, properly taken, your pregnancy should progress well.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant with a history of PCOS and miscarriage. Taking clomid and ovitrelle. Chances of miscarriage? 12 minutes later
i am actually four weeks pregnant... last time i lost my baby on the 47 day exactly. The doctor did not say if i would need additional treatment... i could not conceive at all before my laparoscopy, Now this is my second pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You may go for the sonogram after another week. Your doctor would prescribe supportive medication probably and you can discuss about this.

Laparoscopy helps conception in many cases in PCOD. Similarly, weight reduction also helps spontaneous correction of the hormonal imbalance.

You have to take the precautions I suggested until you pass the first trimester. Do not worry, continue with the prenatal vitamins-folic acid.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free and ask. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant with a history of PCOS and miscarriage. Taking clomid and ovitrelle. Chances of miscarriage? 15 minutes later
Dear Doc,
Thank you for your insights..... one last question

I am feeling a slight pressure on my belly button, a little near where i was operated... Is it normal?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The vascularity of the skin is improved during pregnancy, so also is the perception and sensitivity. Perhaps that could be the reason for the feeling of pressure. If it should bother you, please let your doctor have a look at it. Pain after a laparoscopy procedure is felt only for a few days.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If there are no further queries, you may close this discussion and rate this answer.

Wish you good luck and good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.