Pregnant with a confirmed heartbeat. Dark brown spotting seen after sex. Should I be concerned ?

Hello, I am 11 weeks pregnant with a confirmed heartbeat. My husband and I had sex twice today and now I see some dark brown spotting (about the size of a quarter) on my underwear. No red blood or severe cramping, but I am scared since I miscarried ( chromosomal) in December. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A dark brown spotting at 11 weeks of pregnancy after having an intercourse might be due to an old bleeding in the cervical canal.
This can be a normal finding during pregnancy but sometimes it may be indicative of a low lying placenta in which case precaution is necessary. You need to get an ultrasound scan done for placental localisation in case the bleeding is persistent.
Since the heart beat has already appeared, a miscarriage seems unlikely.
Still you need to be cautious and avoid having sex and doing any heavy work during the first trimester.
Right now you need to have bed rest till the bleeding stops completely and a diagnosis is made with the help of an ultrasound scan.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.