Pregnant, was on duromine. Started getting allergy type of itchy skin and hives. Effect on baby?

i am pregnant and just found out. was on duromine for more than 6 months and found that i am 4 months pregnant. what would be the bad effect for the baby would be because of my duromine intake? started allergy type of itchy skin and hives. taking antihistamine for that too. is antihistamine
is bad for the baby? what would be the bad effect for the baby?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for the query

Duromine is a diet pill and you don't need diet pills during pregnancy.Intake of iron and calcium should be increased in the form of tablets and food which is XXXXXXX in calcium , iron and vitamins.Weight gain should be approximately 1 kg per month and 9 kgs in whole pregnancy.Regarding bad effects on baby , it may cause growth retardation by reducing absorption of calories and altering metabolism which is not good for the fetus.
For allergic skin reaction you can take antihistaminic as it is your second trimester , get serum bilirubin profile done.Cholestasis of pregnancy is common for which ursodeoxycholic acid is given under doctor's guidance.
I hope this helps , any further query is most welcome.
Best wishes and good luck
Follow-up: Pregnant, was on duromine. Started getting allergy type of itchy skin and hives. Effect on baby? 20 hours later
wanted to know is do u think my baby will get retardation because I have already taken duromine in first trimester?
what is cholestasis ?
what is the best antihistamine brand to take?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 29 minutes later

Welcome once again

No , the short term use of diet pill does not affect the growth of the fetus.The retardation is seen in second and third trimester.The ultrasound report tells the exact situation of the growth of fetus but you need not worry, avoid pills in the further duration of pregnancy.

In Cholestasis , the normal flow of bile is hampered by hormones of pregnancy. It is common in third trimester and causes itching on hands and feet and alters the liver function tests.Topical application of creams and cold baths are suggested.No antihistaminic is safe during first trimester.If pruritis becomes troublesome then you can take second generation antihistaminic drugs like cetrizine or loratidine under doctor's guidance and prescription. You should drink plenty of water.
Best wishes once again
If anything else , you are always welcome
Follow-up: Pregnant, was on duromine. Started getting allergy type of itchy skin and hives. Effect on baby? 47 minutes later
that reply made my mind peaceful. yes i got pruritis and its very itchy and painful. what do you think about my age effect to the baby? i do have 2 and half year old daughter. she is a very healthy and well. im still worry about now i am over 40.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 22 hours later

You can get triple and Quadruple markers done under doctor's guidance to rule out any congenital problem in the baby and can get level two scan done with regular follow ups.I hope you have taken regular folic acid supplements in the first trimester.There are protein powders with DHA available in the market which helps in the brain development of the baby , you can take them under doctor's prescription.
Regular morning walk with good diet and proper sleep is required.
Take regular iron supplements and calcium and Vit D.
Best wishes once again