Pregnant via IVF and has low ovarian reserve. US showed only yolk sac. Any hope?

My wife is 7 week pregnent now. We saw just yolk sac in the ultrasound scanning. Doctor has asked to re-visit next week. i have few questions
1) Is there any hope. Pregnency was via IVF and Embryo was rated as Grade 1 (best). She is 30 yrs with poor ovarian reserve.
2) If it is positive any issues in baby's health.
3) Any tests (like chromozomes) etc to be conducted to make sure that baby is physically and mentally healthy.
4) In worst case we have to restart the cycle. Will there be any issue ( i mean will this repeat).
5) Why are facing this day even though the Embroyo was 8 Cell equal sized and Grade 1 .
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 47 minutes later

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

I can understand your present situation. At 7 weeks pregnancy fetal cardiac activity is usually noted on ultrasound scan. As it is still not present, there is remote possibility of delayed conception. My answers for your questions:

1) Though remote, there is still hope - The fetus can grow and you could see fetal heart activity in subsequent scans.
2) Delayed conception won't cause any major issues to baby's health. It can grow like any normal pregnancy.
3) Presently no tests are required, but as the pregnancy advances your wife will require screening (BLOOD tests- TRIPLE SCREEN) for chromosomal abnormalities at around 15 weeks of gestation and Nuchal translucency scan at 11-14 weeks. It's a universal screening done for all pregnant females.
4) If the pregnancy does not grow/ if at all it goes into missed abortion, I suggest you and your wife to undergo chromosomal analysis, check for any TRANSLOCATIONS. If the tests are normal, then there is very less chance of recurrence.
5) It can happen, just have hope. Just wait for another week for fetal cardiac activity.If at all any untoward happens, next time you can go for PGD-prenatal genetic diagnosis. PGD has its own limitations, as it won't detect all genetic abnormalities.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.

Wish you good health.

Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile