Pregnant, vertigo, nexito, ferrosac invitro fertilisation, low haemoglobin.

Dear Sir/Madam,

My wife is 29 years of age and currently 34 Weeks pregnant (Beginning of 9th Month). This is her first pregnancy. Since 20th August 2011 she is having severe problem of Vertigo and whatever she looks at is moving around her head. Can I give her Vertin 16 mg tablets at this point of time in pregnancy. If yes, how many tablets a day?

Moreover, she had a medical history for Vertigo. She took Nexito 10 tablets (one tablet daily) for around 4 years till XXXXXXX 2010. However, since almost last one year she has stopped taking Nexito 10 and everything was going on very smooth.

During last 8 months of pregnancy she had to be given Ferrosac IVF because of low haemoglobin. Her haemoglobin was 7.5 during May 2011 and after giving first dose of Ferrosac IVF for 5 alternative days the haemoglobin improved to 9.1. Subsequently, during mid of August 2011, we again checked her haemoglobin and it was 9.7. Doctor suggested to take another dose of Ferrosac IVF for 5 alternative days and it ended on August 17th 2011. We have not re-checked the haemoglobin level yet.

Looking at her condition, I have given her one tablet of Vertin 16 around 5 hours ago and her condition improved a bit but not recovered. Please suggest, if I can continue giving her Vertin 16 mg.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Pandey
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later
Thanks for your query
Vertin is an antihistaminic drug given for the treatment of meniere's disease or vertigo caused by inner ear disorder.
If she is getting relief with this drug you can give her one more tablet after 12 hours as it is not first trimester so there can not be congenital defects in the baby but studies with vertin causing any damage on the foetus are very less.

It should not be given during lactating period.

I give Meclizine or doxylamine.

What you can do is give single tablet of vertin after dinner and doxylamine with pyridoxine combination in the morning.

Do not forget the physiotherapy part , may be she is having cervical spondylosis.
Get her cervical spine check up and thorough ENT check up done.

As you told that she was anaemic , you must get her iron studies like ferritin level , serum iron binding capacity , folic acid and Vit B12.

Give her tablet containing folic acid , pyridoxine and methylcobalamin.

Change the pillow , contour pillow's for vertigo are available.

Get her regular BP check up done as the cause of vertigo can be postural hypotension also.
She should get up very slowly from the bed and do not leave her alone.

Even if the symptoms persist you can give tablet Vertin twice daily.
Diet should be XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
She should drink lot of water.

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome