Pregnant. ultrasound scan shows excess fluid in fetus. increase in size of kidneys for baby. Risks and treatment options ?

I am Six month pregnant (Currently in 27th week) and latest ultra scan shows their is excessive fluid in the fetus. Size of both kidneys of baby is also not normal (increased). I am attaching latest ultra scan reports. I have few queries:

1. What is the problem and how it can be cured?
2. Is any kind of treatment possible now?
3. What are the risks involded during delivery?
4. What are the treatments options available after delivery?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Pregnant. ultrasound scan shows excess fluid in fetus. increase in size of kidneys for baby. Risks and treatment options ? 5 minutes later
What all other scans are recommended in this situation?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later

First,there are 2 types of problems.

The maternal problem is that you have Polyhydraminos, meaning excessive fluid around the fetus.This occurs due to many reasons, especially in Diabetic mothers,twins,infections,congenital anomalies of the fetus. In your case,it would seem that the last cause is the factor here.
Polyhydraminos is not that much of a complication. Most women deliver healthy babies.There is not much that can be done now, other than tapping extra fluid out, if it becomes too much leading to maternal breathing problems etc. In your case, the fluid is not that much. Risks like cord prolapse etc can occur during delivery, but nowadays most women prefer Caeserean sections.

The other problem is fetal. The fetus seems to have congenital anomaly involving the kidneys. Now the severity of this condition will depend on the condition of the fetus after birth. Whether it is operable or not, can be determined only after the baby is examined by Pediatric surgeons. You will need to consult specialists after the birth, to see if any surgical intervention is possible.
Let me make it known, that the fetus has serious congenital anomaly and prognosis is not that good after birth.

At present you will need regular antenatal care, ultrasound and early admission by 36 weeks.

If you have any follow ups, please get back to me.

Follow-up: Pregnant. ultrasound scan shows excess fluid in fetus. increase in size of kidneys for baby. Risks and treatment options ? 2 hours later
Thanks for the quick reply.

At this stage what do you recommend to me? Do i consult a Pediatric surgeons now or wait for delivery?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

first of all, a safe delivery is of primary importance.

Only after the birth, you will need a pediatric surgeon. I belive that you can speak with you obstretician and arrange for a consultation with a pediatric surgeon/neonatologist so that you can get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Hope my answers have been helpful to you.

Wish you good health and safe delivery.