Pregnant taking increased amount of sugar. Will this lead to diabetes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My wife is 9 week pregnant. I have the following questions

1 she has developed liking for sweet food. due to that sugar consumption has gone up. even she likes to have chapati with sugar and not with vegetable.

My question is will it cause any affect on the baby and will she turn diabetic due to her new love for sugar.

JUst FYIP -> her sugar level was below 100 1 month ago and she is non diabatic.
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later

Has your wife developed increased consumption for sugar before her pregnancy anytime in the past ?

Does she feel weak, giddy, sweating, tremors of hands ?

How was her blood sugar before pregnancy ?

Your wife is experiencing cravings of specific food substance during her pregnancy.

Taking so much sugar is never recommended by any health expert or dietician as this can lead to dis-ordered sugar and carbohydrate metabolism and can cause metabolic complications including dehydration as part of possible Diabetes mellitus complications. There is always risk of developing Gestational diabetes mellitus especially if she has family history of diabetes.

These cravings should usually subside by end of 3 months of pregnancy but till then certain methods to avoid the cravings can be tried.

Eat breakfast XXXXXXX in fibre like oats with milk, fresh fruits or fruit juice with natural sugar.

She must have frequent small meals and snacks should compose preferably of fresh fruits, low fat biscuits etc.

Keep away sugar from her reach during any meal of the day unless it is milk or fruit juice.

Low fat yoghurt can also be added during meals which have sweet taste.

Drink 2-3 litres of water daily to avoid dehydration and obesity and ensure better fitness.

Kindly consult with a Dietician for safer substitutes of plain sugar which can be added in her diet so that she no longer seeks plain table sugar.

Get her Antenatal checkups done regularly. Keep a close watch on her blood sugar as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing safe and healthy pregnancy.