Pregnant taking Augmentin for cold. Developed burning and itching in vagina. Any home remedy?

I am six weeks pregnant and have been taking a antibiotic Augmenting as I had a cold. Now I think it's causing a very bad burning sensation and itching inmy vigina. Is there any home made remedy I can use to get rid of this for now until I can go to the doctor tomorrow. I have allegex in the house,can I perhaps use that?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Natural and Home Remedies
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here.

The broad-spectrum antibiotic that you have been taking has damaged the natural flora of your vagina and has allowed a Candida overgrowth to superimpose. Once you are off this antibiotic for a week or so your vaginal flora should revert to normal.

But in the meantime what do you do? I suggest that you stop the Augmentin now. It is very doubtful if you needed it in the first place, given that you had a viral illness.

Your best home remedy, if you have it, would be natural yogurt. Using something like a 5cc syringe, introduce about 5cc of natural yogurt into your vagina about every four hours. This will help to quickly and naturally re-establish your healthy vaginal environs.

I hope that this has been of some small help and that you can accept this advise. Good luck with your pregnancy!